Search This Blog

Thursday, January 9, 2020

The Testaments by Margaret Atwood

4.5 stars rounded up

Let me start by saying that in my book, Margaret Atwood can do no wrong. I've been a fan for decades, and that's not going to change anytime soon. I tend to love everything she puts her name to.

That said, there are a few problems with the Testaments. Others have said because of two of the three narrators, this book reads like a YA dystopian novel. I get that. And for that reason, this book doesn't have the heft that the Handmaid's Tale had.

We already know that Gilead is an abominable place to live, with a theocratic, misogynistic regime. So Atwood could either choose to further that story or take us into the future, to the end of the story, if you will. She chose the latter. And the story has a satisfying end, although I think I would have enjoyed learning more about how the men in power may have met their demise.

I think this series needs two more books. I'd like to read the story of how Gilead was formed. We get a bit of that in the TV show but aren't privy to it in the books.

I'd also like a book to bridge the gap between the Handmaid's Tale and the Testaments. Fifteen years have passed since "Baby Nicole" was smuggled from Gilead. I need to know what has happened since that time. You don't get many answers to that in this book.

I loved the Testaments, but others may be disappointed because it doesn't read like its predecessor. My only hope is that there is more to come.

See review on Goodreads and Amazon.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with your review. I love Margaret Atwood, and having watched the series, was looking forward to reading this book. It didn't disappoint, and I had the added benefit of listening to it as an audio book, so was able to listen to Ann Dowd chillingly reading Aunt Lydia. I also would like a prequel because I honestly would find that the most interesting part of the story we barely know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I really have to get the audio book. She plays her character so well and I'd love to hear her in the Testaments (I loved how her character developed in the book so much!).

      Delete